Android 8.0 Oreo firmware is finally here for newish Samsung devices. The official Android 8.0 firmware was pushed out over the air (OTA) for devices that weren’t already signed up for the Android Oreo beta program.
That means the Android 8.0 Oreo rollout has officially begun for Samsung’s flagships worldwide.
Obviously, we’re talking about an OTA upgrade here, which means there will be restrictions when it comes to receiving and applying the Android notification. Ideally, your device will already have the stock firmware running.
If your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+ is rooted, then you’ll need to disable rooting temporarily to get the OTA upgrade – assuming you haven’t already installed Android 8.0 on your rooted Android.
The latest Android 8.0 upgrade is fully stable, and the ROM will run smoothly on your Galaxy S8 and S8+.
The upgrade brings new features and the usual blend of stability, security, and performance improvements. The update has been well-received and most agree that this is the best Android experience you’ll get on the S8.
If you don’t want to install the update over the air, then you can install it using Odin. Android Geeks had a good tutorial explaining how to do that here.
Some of the biggest changes with Android 8.0 Oreo for the Galaxy S8 and S8+ include:
- Twice as fast (Android claims the device boots twice as fast with Oreo, at least on the Google Pixel, although you should see a boost on the S8 and S8+ as well)
- Background limiting, which prevents inactive apps from accessing processing power and should lead to smoother overall performance
- Picture-in-picture, letting you see two apps at once (similar to the feature that’s been available on Samsung devices for years)
- Notification dots that let you see what’s new quickly before swiping away
- Android instant apps, letting you tap directly into new apps from your browser without actually installing them
- The usual security, performance, and stability improvements
Download Android 8.0 Oreo for the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ today.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.