Earlier today, new information about the Galaxy S7 and S7 Plus was leaked online. That information comes from one of the Android community’s best sources and many people believe the news is legitimate.
Together, the pair made the Android community explode with anticipation today by releasing a video of the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Plus in all their glory.
Here’s what the Galaxy S7 Plus looks like in video form:
Of course, those videos don’t give us that much information about the phones themselves. Fortunately, uSwitch and OnLeaks managed to pry a little further and reveal some exact tech specs and measurements about the upcoming devices. You can learn more about that information below.
Tech Specs and Features on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Plus
While the video above focused on the Galaxy S7 Plus, there’s new information about both the S7 and the S7 Plus revealed in this leak. Here are all the tech specs and features that came out as part of this leak:
- The renders above reportedly come from one of OnLeaks’s most trusted sources. Renders like the one above are typically given out to accessory manufacturers – like case makers who want to make sure their cases work with the new design. It appears OnLeaks knows someone at a certain factory who had access to the Galaxy S7 blueprints. Those blueprints were used to make the renders above.
- The video above all but confirms that the S7 Plus will feature a 6 inch screen, which blurs the already-blurry line between tablets and high-end smartphones.
- As you can see in the video above, the Galaxy S7 is expected to have a more rounded mental frame than the S6 and is expected to measure around 163.40mm high x 82.00mm long and 7.82mm thick
- Those measurements obviously justify the S7’s “Plus” tag, but the thickness is something special: at 7.82mm thick (9.05mm when measured at the camera), the S7 Plus would be one of the slimmest phablets on the market today.
- The renders suggest that Samsung is not going to use a USB Type-C port on its device, choosing instead to get with the time-honored micro-USB slot. A Type-C port would have allowed for faster file transfer and battery charging, although the QuickCharge technology on the Galaxy S6 has left many users impressed already.
- The front-facing camera has moved to the edge and now sits to the left of the front panel. It actually sits closer to the edge than just about any camera we can see on an Android today. It’s so close that case makers might have to be concerned about accidentally covering the camera with the edge of their cases.
- There’s no microSD slot, so you’ll need to either buy more internal storage when you purchase your phone or use cloud storage services.
- The Galaxy S7 (the normal version) is expected to feature a 5.1-inch display or something very close to that, which is the same size as the Galaxy S6.
- Perhaps the most exciting news of this leak is that Samsung could feature a pressure sensitive screen similar to what’s offered by Apple’s 3D Touch. With Apple, you can touch an app normally to open that app normally, or you can press harder on that app’s shortcut to reveal a list of different options.
Some reports state that the Galaxy S7’s camera will go down as low as 12MP, while others believe it’s at 16MP. The sources cited in uSwitch’s report seem to disagree about this tech spec.
In line with reports, Samsung is expected to replace its own multi-core Exynos processor with a processor manufactured by Qualcomm.
Samsung Galaxy S7 Release Date
When will the Galaxy S7 be released?
Optimists say that Samsung could release the Galaxy S7 as early as January 2016. Others, however, believe that Samsung won’t release the phone until February 2016.
Some people even believe that Samsung will stick to its guns and release the S7 at the same time of the year as all its other smartphones in the past – March 2016.
Personally, the consensus seems to be right in the middle: Samsung will release the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Plus in mid to late February 2016.
Stay tuned to the Search4Roots blog to discover more about the Galaxy S7 as we get closer to its release date!